When it comes to choosing a website designer to design your business website you might think it’s as simple as picking a designer with a nice portfolio. There is more to choosing a good website designer than that, though. Today I want to cover some of the things you should look for when you are hiring a designer to create your business site.
What to Look For in Your Business Website Designer
Below is a list of some of the must-have characteristics of any good business website designer.
- Good communication!
- A visually pleasing and unique portfolio.
- Good references.
- Passion for design.
- Someone who is well spoken and understands how to articulate what you are asking of them.
- Adherence to timelines.
- Ability to work with milestones and incorporate regular “check-ins” into your project.
- An understanding of basic software and programming languages needed, for example, WordPress, PHP, Photoshop, Illustrator, or Dreamweaver.
- Ability to listen and deliver what you have requested rather than what they want to deliver.
- Familiarity with your niche/industry/brand/business.
- The ability to take constructive criticism and revise designs.
Even if you love a designer, if they don’t provide all around good service including the points noted above, then you need to keep looking!
What to Avoid in a Designer
In addition to the things you should be looking out for, there are also a few things that you should be wary of when hiring someone to design your business website. Always avoid a designer who…
- Has an amateur looking portfolio.
- Does a test project for you that does not meet the quality of their original portfolio.
- Has no technical knowledge of design.
- Has no access to or understanding of basic design programs – Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- Refuses to provide you with source files when you have requested them at the beginning of your project together.
- Goes MIA for long periods of time.
- Has poor communication skills.
- The work they did for you shows up on a Google image search as being for or being done by someone else.
I Can Help!
I have a few openings in my design schedule for new clients! If you would like to take advantage of one of these limited spots why not give me a call for a free consultation? You can reach me at 727-217-5752!