An online business manager plays an integral part in your online business performance. If you are like many small business owners, however, you may be skeptical about just how helpful an OBM can be.
What is an Online Business Manager?
Let’s start by addressing the most basic question – what is an online business manager?
An online business manager is an online support professional who is responsible for managing the online aspects of a business. This includes the day-to-day management of operations, projects, team, and metrics.
Why Do You Need An Online Business Manager?
If your business has an online presence, you should have an online business manager in place to manage, grow, monitor, and make changes to that presence.
What Exactly Does an Online Business Manager Do?
There are four areas of business that your online business manager plays a role in –
- Project management
- Operations management
- Metrics management
- People management
In short, your online business manager takes charge of your company’s online presence including:
- Your corporate website
- Your social media presence
- Your company listing in various online directories and review sites
- Your online advertisement, marketing, and promotional campaigns
Your OBM doesn’t just use the information that they have in front of them to report on and manage your company presence online, though. Your OBM will take the information that they have in front of them and use that information to make predictions. For example:
- Using statistics from website search data, your OBM can make predictions of future campaign success.
- Analyzing PPC campaign data, your OBM can identify areas of your campaign where your company is losing money and help rectify that by making changes.
- Analyzing PPC campaign data, your OBM can also make predictions for more successful (higher ROI) campaigns in the future.
When it comes to project management, your OBM can manage the setup and launching of a new online presence. Project management also involves the construction of your company website from beginning to end.
When it comes to operations management, your OBM is charged with ensuring that all necessary systems and software options are in place for the proper and efficient flow of data, client relationships, workflow, billing, and communication.
When it comes to metrics management, your OBM tracks your online stats to track what is and what is not working regarding your online campaigns. Using that data, your OBM then makes forecasts and recommendations for future projects.
When it comes to people management, your OBM takes a huge load off your plate by managing outsourced contracted employees, graphic designers, SEO professionals, etc. This management means making sure that these employees have what they need to complete their job, that these employees stay on track to maintain projected deadlines, and they make sure that all online workers receive the guidance needed for successful online operation.
What Kind of Person Makes a Good OBM?
The type of person that you want to look for when hunting for an OBM is someone who:
- Takes action on great ideas rather than sitting on them for “later”.
- Being an integral cog in the complete business machine.
- Has a level head and can democratically manage and quell online and in-person debates.
- Works well with others and can effectively manage them.
- Is familiar with various software and tracking programs including CPC programs, Google ads, search engine optimization tools, organizational hubs, basic coding, and efficiency analysis tools.
- Can make inferences from data to create future projections regarding business approach.
- Gets satisfaction from the successful completion of a job.
What Don’t You Want to See in an OBM?
You do not want to hire someone as an online business manager if they…
- See things in plain black and white.
- Easily lose their temper.
- Lack diplomatic and customer service skills.
- Only have basic skills in any of the fields mentioned above – this creates a problem because it means having to hire a second contractor to fill in the gaps for your first, and that’s just not economically sound.
Are You In Need of an Online Business Manager?
If you need a reputable and experienced online business manager, Online Presence Manager is here to help! Give us a call today at 727-475-6460 for a free consultation to see how we can help you to improve your online presence!